A starry night breaks into eternal day


I run this blog at direction of the Holy Spirit. It is aimed at lukewarm Christians to examine themselves in the context of the times, and repent so they will not be left behind. It also examines the signs so that a non-believer wandering by might be moved by the many proofs that God is active in the world and is winding down the clock. Sometimes the emotions evoked by the times, the signs, and the reality of judgment is pretty brutal. But brutality and reality is not the only thing the Lord shows me.

Do you have an idea of how fiercely I love Him? Of glorying in the opportunity to plumb His umplumbable depths? Of the mystery and majesty of the relationship of man to Savior through His blood? Of how I am in eternal gratitude to the work and grace of the Holy Spirit?

I've been on a run lately. I have been listening to John MacArthur's series on Creation, as well as reading some books on it, discussing it with friends, and defending it in public. The Spirit also gives me a lot of science interests to study up on. Given the way I came to the Lord, through rationality and science, I see God in science more often than not. I got interested in quantum physics a few weeks ago. Also nanotechnology. I wrote about a quantum leap and its relation to the Rapture an also the dissolution of the universe as prophesied in 2 Peter 3, just a few weeks ago, here. Lately I've been studying about Richard P. Feynman, the Nobel winner for quantum electrodynamics, and also the father of nanotechnology.

In the Genesis sermons, we were up to Creation Day 6. The testimony of God in the book of Genesis 1 is incredible and humbling, and...words fail me in thinking about the creation. But the more I study it, the more it makes my heart beat in love for our Creator. The sermons for Day 6 were split into part one and part two, because the text is so rich. MacArthur was preaching on the trinity, the "Executive Divine Council" as he calls it, and the reasons for the creation of the earth and humankind in the first place. We learned about the Personhood of the LORD, and about His relational capacities, and man's place within them. The creation series of sermons build, and build and build toward this one singular moment where God personally made man. God did not say in the passive tense "Let there be", as He had in the previous Days, He said "Let Us make...". MacArthur used a LOT of science in his lessons, which is one reason why I like Him. The crescendo of the weeks of listening and study were bearing down on this moment.

You know how you feel when you are inside a crescendo...a symphony or a lecture or a book or a cooking lesson...something you are doing that is reaching its denouement. As I was listening and pondering, a sudden flash of insight came around the corner of my brain. Like a comet streaking into view, I call these flashes "incoming!" and revel in what they have to reveal.

As I was immersed in science and theology, listening to the words tumble out of the laptop speakers art came to mind, clearly and with force. Vincent Van Gogh's "Starry Night" came to my eyes. It is a piece of Post-Impressionism I had never gravitated to nor examined very much. The very painting has itself seemed to achieve a cliche and in so achieving, is more easily dismissed. Which I had done.

I am not a huge fan of the Impressionists nor the Port-Impressionists, preferring the structured scientific styles of the early Renaissance painters and sculptors. But all of a sudden as I was listening to the purpose of the creation the answer came to me in Starry Night. It is a picture of eternity, of the relational communications between and among the Holy Spirit, Jesus and God. It is a picture of active and moving atoms in the unrolling of creation and man's place within it. I can't bring you into the thought any further because it was more of an insight in the comet's vaporous tail than solidly examinable as the ball of ice that is its head. It just seemed suddenly to me that the painting was a study in matter, and molecules, and eternity, and creation, and relationship of the Divine and man's smallness in all that context, but of his uniqueness, too.

Of course, I was intrigued and studied the painting and its origins further. I found Professor Albert Boime of UCLA, lecturing in the Social History of Modern Art. In his paper, "A History of Matter and a Matter of History" (can be read in .pdf, here) the following phrases in his famous paper discussing "Starry Night" seemed to me to capture the essence of what Van Gogh was showing us and was consistent with the insight given to me in the flash:

"apocalyptic exaltation"
"the celestial pageant as a source of moral energy"
"astronomical metaphors for religious experiences"
"work under the great starlit vault of heaven a something -which after all one can only call God and eternity- and its place above the world"
As Van Gogh said, "I was thinking of eternity the other night..."
"threshold of eternity"

The son of a pastor and deeply religious but as we know, troubled, Vincent Van Gogh showed us a glimpse of eternity in that painting, an insight into the mind of God. I wonder what it was like for the thinking population at that time. Evolutionary theory with all its pointlessness and Godlessness was beginning to permeate society. Evolution versus new advances in astronomy that showed the parade of celestial bodies in their courses. At the same time scientific advances with the telescope and photography of the heavens was making astronomy more interesting than ever. Jules Verne was writing books about trips to the moon and spiritism was coming into play to fill the religious vacuum caused by evolution. At the time when scientists were looking within and looking up, there was a disconnect with what evolution was telling them and what the heavens were telling them (Romans 1:18-22).

The truth of Romans 1:18-20 must have created a cognitive dissonance unlike at any other time in history.
The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of people, who suppress the truth by their wickedness, since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.
In the painter's own words, he said of Starry Night, "…A kind of painting giving greater consolation." It does give greater consolation. It does. Van Gogh was seeking a "divinity manifested in everyday life" we are told, and in Starry Night, I believe he found it.

Comments

  1. Van Gogh is one of my favorite artists. When I paint in acrylics, that's the style that tends to come out... I've always found his "Starry Night" to be dynamic and ethereal, and I've always loved it. I never knew about his intentions regarding it, though. That's very interesting; thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool, you use acrylics! Did you ever put up one of your paintings online?

    Van Gogh was deeply religious but at the time of painting this, one of his last, he was in turmoil about his beliefs. He had come to the conclusion that Christianity was hypocrisy, he believed in the Divine but he was having trouble with the moral implications of living it. I think that, in essence, was at the heart of his insanity and rages- he could not reconcile the beauty of God with the poverty of human life, in his view anyway. ...

    Starry Night was his soul speaking out rather than his brain pondering the godlessness theories of the day, which he was also consumed with. It was why I mentioned the cognitive dissonance of the propulsion of evolution onto the society and science revealing more of God than ever. 1889 was the year of the Exposition/World Fair in Paris & unveiled the Eiffel Tower with its astronomical observatory. The .pdf of Boime's paper includes references to Jules Verne, Flammarion, and other science and literature, & shows the connection between Van Gogh's struggle to accept the divine while slowly going mad with the importance and imminence of it all. Neart the time he painted Sarry night and killed himself soon after, he wrote: "Around this time, he wrote, "Sometimes moods of indescribable anguish, sometimes moments when the veil of time and fatality of circumstances seemed to be torn apart for an instant."'

    Van Gogh wanted to become a pastor but failed the entrance exam, but he did serve and was fervent. Van Gogh wished to become an artist while in God's service as he stated, "...to try to understand the real significance of what the great artists, the serious masters, tell us in their masterpieces, that leads to God; one man wrote or told it in a book; another in a picture."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't used acrylics in a while, so no, there's none of those online. I had to sell all my art supplies a while back, and I'm still working on recollecting everything. Also (and in this, I see the Hand of God IMMENSELY), after I met Jesus, all of my old artwork got lost in a move. It's like He was severing my tie with that part of my life. My art never honored Him back then.

    Here's my most recent painting (watercolor): http://extendingeagerhands.blogspot.com/2011/04/art-house-on-sand.html

    And I am focusing primarily on graphic art right now, since it's easier to help the family income with that: http://www.cafepress.com/envyart

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Elizabeth, I never knew all this about Van Gogh...I guess society doesn't really even consider him from that angle.

    You said "I think that, in essence, was at the heart of his insanity and rages- he could not reconcile the beauty of God with the poverty of human life" and I know alot of people, friends of mine that feel the same way. What do I say to them? I'm not trying to say what will please them or console their ears but what the word of God says in relation to that pondering of the heart and mind. I just need to plant a genuine seed whenever possible. Thanks!!

    - Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Van Gogh too. I love "Starry Night" as well as many of his other paintings. One of my favorites is the "Wheat Field with Crows" he actually painted the field that he shot himself in.

    I think one reason why I gravitate to his work is not only because of his style, but because I feel like he was such a fragile soul. He felt life so deeply, he loved God, and yet he suffered so much mentally. There is a quote from one of his letters that breaks my heart. He says, "Oh that I may be shown the way to devote my life more fully to the service of God and the Gospel. I keep praying for it and, in all humility, I think I shall be heard . . . " (Letter 92)1

    I makes me think of the legacy we leave behind after we die. Tragically, he is not remembered for his love for God or for these words; art historians prefer to dwell on his suicide and cut off ear. It is really sad.

    When I die, I want to be able to say, like Paul, "I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith." 2 Tim. 4:7

    --B

    ReplyDelete
  6. Emily, your watercolor House on Sand is beautiful! I LOVE IT! You're quite talented. The cards at cafepress are wonderful too.

    --B, well said. Very well said.

    Debbie, I always just go back to sin with talking with people. "What do you think happens to you after you die??"

    "Do you think you will go to heaven? (If they say yes, on what basis, they will likely say "I'm a good person) then start witnessing according to the Law. "Have you ever stolen anything? Even a pen from work? Taken a deduction that was just over the edge? Had lustful thoughts about someone? Jesus says even being angry with a person is akin to murder, and sinful thoughts akin to adultery. So how can a lying, thieving, adultering murderer go to heaven?" then talk about the standards God has, and that we fail those standards, but he sent Jesus to us, etc .

    Everyrone has thoughts about the afterlife and everyone wonders "what's all mean?" I especially wonder that when I see poverty in, say, Calcutta and my own riches, comparatively, and I wonder about the purpose in life for me and for those other people. Bring it back to Jesus and His plan for each of us. Poverty of life-whether that poverty is no money, no love, or no purpose, all vanishes after reconciliation with Jesus. The hole of poverty is suddenly filled. You see your purpose for your life unfold, and you realize that no matter the circumstances of this life, they are temporary and meaningless in the face of eternal love and riches in Him. Get them to look UP rather than look AROUND. And then it all makes sense.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment