Major quake at Vanuatu, and earthquake data for you

There was an earthquake at Vanuatu on Saturday afternoon 1:00 pm local time. Its magnitude is classified as 7.5. Vanuatu is in the southern Pacific halfway between Fiji to its east and Queensland Australia to its west.


Any quake over 7.0 magnitude is considered 'major'. On average, the USGS states that we can expect about 15 quakes of that magnitude each year. So far in 2011, the world has had 11 quakes of that magnitude. It is my estimate that due to the rate of strong and major quakes' occurrence over these last five years (with those averages being regularly exceeded), the average will once again be exceeded this year as well.

As a matter of fact, the average amount of quakes in the 6.0-6.9 range is 134 and we have already had 140 so far this year in that magnitude, thus crushing the USGS average once again. In short, earthquakes are on the rise. Let's take a look at the facts:
Source: USGS (United States Geological Survey) Where annual averages are met or exceeded the number is in red.
Magnitude / Average Annually
8+ = 1 (in 2011 we have had 1)
7 - 7.9 = 15 (in 2011 we have had 11)
6 - 6.9 = 134 (in 2011 we have had 140)
5 - 5.9 = 1319 (in 2011 we have had 1697)

Frequency of Occurrence of Earthquakes
¹ Based on observations since 1900.
These numbers have been recently updated, based on data from the Centennial catalog (from 1900 to 1999) and the PDE (since 2000).
² Based on observations since 1990.

So the USGS even updated the averages and STILL are they exceeded annually. Here is a chart I generated and updated today through Aug 20. Source USGS data.


Earthquakes have long been one of the ways God gets our attention. "An earthquake is a great teacher. It doesn't make any suggestions; it's making commands. It doesn't ask for our attention, it demands it. It doesn't just hope we'll contemplate and act, it brings about almost instant obedience." (source).

God is in complete control. The bible teaches that everything that happens is under His control. Nothing that happens, happens without His permission, knowledge, and sovereign plan. Satan cannot make an earthquake. But God can. All that He does is for the good.

For the Christian, we know that our eternal destiny is settled. If we die in an earthquake, it is to the good, for we will be with Him. If we do not die in an earthquake, than nothing that we have lost is of eternal value. Our possessions? We won't need them in heaven. Our health (if we are injured in a quake) will be restored. Since we live on the earth, we are flesh and therefore not impervious to sin's effects nor remain untainted by calamity. But what we lose is nothing. Enduring a disaster means we have an opportunity to become dependent on God. That is always a good thing because He is the source of all good things. We can fellowship with the afflicted. We can grow and mature through hardship.

If a person is not saved and endures an earthquake, they learn that life is fragile. They learn that the time to settle the earthly accounts and eternal destiny is now. Also, though living in a place where quakes are common means likely that there are strong codes for buildings, there are limits to how far one can go to protect one's self from calamity. If a quake is big enough, the place will be razed, codes or no codes. Witness Japan. Life is fragile and there is nothing like an earthquake to reveal that to puny humans.

All this to say, that though earthquakes are in the rise and will continue to be so (Luke 21:11, Rev 6:12, Rev 8:5, Rev 11:13, Rev 16:18), the saved should fear not. That link is to a search result where 'fear not' is stated 63 times. There are many more ways He tells us not to fear, just not in that particular phrase. Therefore, we should not fear.

"Thou drewest near in the day that I called upon thee: thou saidst, Fear not." (Lamentations 3:57)

Comments

  1. From Southern Ca. thank you for this post and putting it all in perspective. Earthquakes are one thing that get me scared. Even the smaller earthquakes are scary, just because you never know how bad it is going to get before it stops. And then once it does stop, you wonder if there is going to be another, bigger earthquake coming.

    But everything you said is right on.

    "God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, even though the earth be removed." Psalm 46:1-2

    ReplyDelete
  2. For what it's worth, here's video (actually a coupe of stills) of the object that shut down the airport in China this week: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=l8oJ7oIu9O8

    Also for what it's worth, crop circles continue and now there's one being reported in China that is actually more like the Nazca lines in Peru, made in the desert in the sand/dirt/rocks rather than in crops/vegetation: http://www.ecropcircles.com/ These interest me because altho some are obviously man-made, others are definitely questionable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elizabeth, can you pray for me please? I am really scared. I shouldn't be scared, I should be ready. A year ago, I had a series of dreams about bombs, nuclear bombs. They were very vivid and I felt that they were from the Lord. However, I never thought they were prophetic or anything, more symbolic/spiritual. The Lord ministered to me through His word about His dunamos power displayed more than a nuclear bomb. The third dream however began when the bomb went off. I was on an island, on the beach and I saw a white flash and I felt a hot wind. I knew it was a nuclear bomb. We were dying, but slowly. Then a boat came to take us from the island. But when I got on the boat I realized my family was no longer with me. I was screaming in panic. When it happened I still thought it might be symbolic of His dunamos power. All 3 dreams seemed like they were totally from the Lord, and were not normal dreams. The first two came two nights in a row.

    Well, tonight I don't know how I ended up on this website, but it was a Christian. At first I was like, "I don't know this guy" but I saw that Stephen Quayle was also corroborating this guys prophetic dream. I know of Stephen Quayle and I sometimes follow his work (he compiles a lot of news that is hard to find as well).

    I listened to the guy's dream. He dreamt of a nuclear bomb over Honolulu, Stephen Quayle was able to corroborate this possibility with an experience and the Lord speaking to his heart this month while he was in Hawaii, that he was at ground zero.

    The thing that bothers me, is that I am going to Maui on Friday. He said Maui will be affected. I mean this guy doesn't know when or if this is even for sure. I know dreams are not scripture, but I have a close friend dreams many things, from the Lord, that come true. She is very close to the Lord and she even dreamt of the Japan quake. I knew it was coming and we were praying for 3 days before it happened. I am used to that now with her.

    When God gives me a dream it is usually symbolic, or a warning of a spiritual attack, or to call me to attention to something wrong with my walk.

    But now I am wondering if I am going to lose my family, on vacation next week. I feel so stupid, letting myself get all worked up over a stupid dream. A dream is nothing. We are all going to die. I guess, what if God gave me the dream and led me to this warning, to give me a chance to escape it? What if I could cancel my trip and live on? What if I cancel my trip, out of fear, and nothing happens. I will ruin things for my whole family! I will be such a loser Christian.

    I am going to fast and pray, but I know you are very level headed. Can you please pray for me, and give me some advice? Maybe a verse God gives you for me?

    Here is the link to the information, if you had a second to listen to it. Thanks Elizabeth.
    http://www.mykingdomtube.com/index.php?topic=2504.0

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous of the dreams, I will pray for you and I'll answer more lengthily when I get home from work later this afternoon. Hang in there :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Elizabeth, I really look forward to your reply. Last night before I went to bed I opened my evening devotion and the verses were Matthew 6:25-34--- Do not worry, and do not worry about tomorrow. How amazing is that?

    It did not answer my worries by telling me the future; it just told me not to worry. Of course I would rather have had Psalm 91--that nothing bad will happen to me! LOL. But God must be teaching me something; faith in uncertainty. This is a lesson we need to learn in these last days, because we NEVER know what is coming next as these birth pangs get closer and closer.

    I also realized that I need to just go and enjoy my vacation. That this is nothing that I can trust in, and use to change my plans. There is no scriptural confirmation. And I don't feel afraid anymore. If it happens, then may the Lord be glorified through it.

    I also, was thinking more clearly this morning after seeking the Lord and getting sleep. I looked up this Nathan "watchman" that I have never heard of before. I perused his website to see check and see his beliefs and stuff. He seems to list a lot of other dreams that have either not come true (at least yet), or who he says have kinda come true. So I don't think his record is that impressive. There are so many false prophets out there. This is such a crazy time of deception.

    But another big red flag for me is that I found him warning Christians to be prepared to go through the tribulation!!!! Uhm. NO!!! He says that the "bride" is not made ready until all the Jews have come in, during the tribulation. He says that people who believe in the rapture twist scripture or have been brainwashed by those who do.

    I can't listen to a guy, trying to give his own prophetic word, when He can't even get GOD's prophetic word right.

    It was just listening to his dream, I could picture it, and it seemed to look like a dream I had had. And it all made me wonder if that was what God was trying to tell me. But a dream alone is nothing. God has to confirm the message with His word, and then we need to see it come to pass.

    And when I had that dream initially the Lord did not tell me it was literal. He was working in me a heart to pray for His power to be displayed among us at our church. The first dream was God shaking up our home, the second was God shaking up our fellowship, and pouring out His "Dunamos" Spirit. He immediately led me to a Bible study about His Power being that which can move a mountain, like Mt.St. Helen's erruption being equivalent to 1,000 Hiroshima bombs. So the third dream I assumed was another reminder, I almost thought He was showing me that He was going to move soon, that I would feel the affects, and He wanted me to endure and not run away when He starts working in our fellowship. (We actually need Him to do something to shake us up. We are like the church of Ephesus). And these dreams did not happen during a normal period of my life. They happened during an intense personal 3 week fast, where I was crying out for God to move in our church. They were immediately explained/confirmed through scripture and I am seeing them come to pass.

    I believe that God can speak to us through dreams. Acts 2 says that in the last days God will pour out His Spirit and His people will dream dreams. But if it is a prophetic dream, we need to test it. It needs to be supported by scripture, and it needs to come true.

    I am going to Hawaii. If God wants me to stay home He will direct my steps that way--Our flight will get cancelled, we will get sick, or something will come up that will prevent us from going. He is the God who directs our steps, not freaks us out with uncertain fears.

    Thank you for your prayers. Sorry for my lapse in judgment, and my loser Christian moment!

    ReplyDelete
  6. HI Anonymous,

    Your thought process is spot on, no loser moments here!! You prayed, checked the scriptures, took the scriptures to heart, and pulled yourself up by the bootstraps. Well done! I agree that changing a vacation on the basis of one guy's so-called prophetic dream is a non starter. I also like how you went to the guy's site to check his beliefs and noticed that his so-called prophesies have not come true. If they do not come true, they are not from God.

    It is generally accepted that the Joel 2:28 prophecy that in the latter days the people will dream dreams was fulfilled at Pentecost. Acts 2 has it. The first generation believers and Apostles were endowed with this ability as a sign, because the New Testament was not written yet. Clarke's Commentary states:

    'Shall come to pass afterward -"after this;" the same, says Kimchi, as in the latter days, which always refers to the days of the Messiah; and thus this prophecy is to be interpreted: and we have the testimony of St. Peter, Acts 2:17, that this prophecy relates to that mighty effusion of the Holy Spirit which took place after the day of pentecost." http://biblecommenter.com/joel/2-28.htm

    Lots of people are saying these days that they are having dreams, and some may be from God, I do not know and I am not qualified to say. But I do know the bible says that the very end will be a time of deception. Col 2:8 says "See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, according to the tradition of men, according to the elementary principles of the world, rather than according to Christ."

    I also know that the bible says that the information we need was delivered once for all to the saints (Jude 1:3). And that information is in the bible, not a conspiracy website. Good for you for being so discerning!

    Many people are worried about the near future. Many wonder how bad things will get before we are raptured to heaven. We know that we are not appointed to wrath, but for many on earth these days it certainly FEELS like wrath. How much more will the saints go through? We do not know. But we should not worry. As you wisely stated, we can exist in His light for His glory to those who are in darkness.

    Please go and enjoy your vacation. The Lord knows the numbers of hairs on your head, He has such attention to detail. He will not give you more to endurethan you can endure:

    "No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it." 1 Corinthians 10:13.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment