A thorny crown

In Genesis 3, Eve and Adam sinned. They fell from grace, and destroyed the intimate relationship they'd been enjoying with Holy God. God told Adam that because of his sinful action,

cursed is the ground because of you;
in pain you shall eat of it all the days of your life;
thorns and thistles it shall bring forth for you;
and you shall eat the plants of the field.
(Genesis 3:17b-18a)

Before the Fall, no thorns existed on earth. After the Fall, because of sin, thorns and thistles grew.

EPrata photo
As Jesus was being led to the crucifixion, they mocked Him.

and twisting together a crown of thorns, they put it on his head and put a reed in his right hand. And kneeling before him, they mocked him, saying, “Hail, King of the Jews!” (Matthew 27:29)

The only reason thorns grew is because of sin. The man sinned and as a result, the ground was cursed, and thorns came. The thorns on Jesus' head are a visual reminder of our sin and the curse of it He came to release us from.

He is a good, good God.

Comments

  1. Indeed He is a good God! I thank Him every day for pulling me out of the catholic church and my lukewarm worship of Him and into a new life with Him through repentance and belief. I love my new life and all that I'm learning! Looking at that crown like the one He wore makes me shudder. I hate how our precious savior had to suffer for and because of us :(

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment