Are we supposed to feel God's presence?

Some ladies who teach the Bible claim to have had special feelings of a tangible presence of God. Sarah Young, author of Jesus Calling, Ann Voskamp, author of One Thousand Gifts, Beth Moore, author of lots of books, and other women, claim to feel God. They report a warm mist, a force entering them, a tingle and so on.

The question often arises, if I don't feel God, am I doing something wrong?

No.

You might sense God as you commune with Him in prayer or the Word, but maybe you don't. Feeling physical sensations are not a requirement for communion with the Lord. Most people do not feel a tangible presence of God at any time. Here, we look to Job. He expresses that in fact God feels far from Him but still Job will commune with God via treasuring the words of His mouth more than even the food that keeps Job alive.


Behold, I go forward, but he is not there,
and backward, but I do not perceive him;
on the left hand when he is working, I do not behold him;
he turns to the right hand, but I do not see him.
But he knows the way that I take;
when he has tried me, I shall come out as gold.
My foot has held fast to his steps;
I have kept his way and have not turned aside.
I have not departed from the commandment of his lips;
I have treasured the words of his mouth more than my portion of food.
(Job 23: 8-12)

Be encouraged. Leave the warm mists, forcible compelling, tingles and other sensations to the ladies who claim such things. More than likely they are not even sensations from God. Be satisfied as Job was, with the words of God's mouth. It's enough, isn't it? More than enough.




Comments

  1. A good word today, Elizabeth! Especially appreciate the verses from Job.

    What is faith? Heb 11, first verse, it is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things NOT seen.

    What a beautiful thing, to know our Lord is with us, though we do not perceive Him.

    -Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's more, they not only 'feel' and 'experience' God's presence, but they 'hear' God's voice speaking to them. And oh the ridiculous words they speak, claiming direct revelation from God. They are not content knowing God as He has revealed Himself in scripture. No, they insist on adding human elements to religious principles to make faith more exciting. So be it. They can continue on in their folly, thinking themselves to be wise. But I don't have ears to hear them, for mine are attuned to the words of Christ. Yes, that's more than enough!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment