The prayer machinery of heaven #1

This is the confidence which we have before Him, that, if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us. (1 John 5:14)
Andrew Bonar: "I have been endeavoring to keep up prayer...every hour of the day, stopping my occupation, whatever it is, to pray a little. I seek to keep my soul within the shadow of the throne of grace and Him that sits thereon."
Isn't that descriptive, keeping one's soul in the shadow of the One who sits on the throne. Prayer does that for us. Spurgeon said,
Prayer meetings are the throbbing machinery of the church
Prayer straddles our lives both on earth and in heaven. All week I am going to focus on prayer. It's important. I need to do better in my life, and I can't imagine a Christian who doesn't think they can do better at prayer either.

Spurgeon's reference to machinery got me thinking of another of Spurgeon's sermons, one called God's Providence. (#3114). Spurgeon likened the cherubim's acts near the throne and the wheels within wheels as described by Ezekiel as machinery of Providence. He described, hypothetically of course, the wheels going up and down and left and right in tandem as the machinery of Providence carrying out God's will and decrees. It's an interesting thought, and Spurgeon is vivid about his descriptions. Here are a few-
So in God's Providence, there is an axle which never moves. Christian, here is a sweet thought for thee! Thy state is ever changing; sometimes thou art exalted, and sometimes depressed; yet there is an unmoving point in thy state. What is that axle? What is the pivot upon which all the machinery revolves? It is the axle of God's everlasting love toward his covenant people. he exterior of the wheel is changing, but the center stands forever fixed. Other things may move; but God's love never moves: it is the axle of the wheel; and this is another reason why Providence should be compared to a wheel. 
My firm belief is, that angels are sent forth somehow or other to bring about the great purposes of God. The great wheel of Providence is turned by an angel.
That you will see by the text: "Behold one wheel upon the earth by the living creatures, with his four faces." The wheel had "four faces." I think that means one face to the north, another to the south, another to the east, and another to the west. There is a face to every quarter. Providence is universal, looking to every quarter of the globe.
And so on. Neat, huh?

In further imagining this 'throbbing machinery' of prayer, I created some scripture pictures that will be my theme this week. I enjoy imagining how God works and thinking about what things look like in heaven, given the glimpses we have been given in scripture. My favorite doctrine is Providence. Combining that with the imagined 'machinery' of prayer is intriguing.

Please enjoy.



Further Reading

Let's pray for the persecuted and the missionaries around the world. Read this story, I hope it moves you.

Banner of Truth Magazine: He Gave His Life So Another Might Live


Voice of the Martyrs: Pray Today App (free)
Voice of the Martyrs: Global Prayer Guide (free)



Prayer Machinery of Heaven series:

Prayer Machinery #1: Introduction and Praying for Missionaries

Prayer Machinery #2: Praying for pray for our Elders (pastors, deacons, teachers, etc).

Prayer Machinery #3Praying for each other

Prayer Machinery #4: How to Pray

Prayer Machinery #5: A focus on Jesus in heaven who hears our prayers, and what a comfort that is.

Prayer Machinery #6: Persevering in Prayer

Prayer Machinery #7: The Two 'If''s and the Importance of confessing Sin

Comments

  1. I'm late to starting to read this series but am looking forward to it. Thanks for sharing the treasures from His Word!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I've done 5. I'll do one or two more. The I'll link them all together. Thank you for reading!

      Delete

Post a Comment